You’re keen on your loved ones and associates. Present them how a lot by whipping up consolation meals this winter that’s as heart-healthy as it’s scrumptious. You can begin by attempting these 4 fabulous entrées within the weeks main as much as Valentine’s Day. They’re easy to make. Add a number of nourishing sides — greens, a inexperienced salad, or entire grains — and you have got an appetizing, nutritious dinner.
Winter Stew With Lean Beef, Beans, and Veggies
This beefy one-pot entrée is loaded with heart-friendly components — lean protein, veggies, and fiber –that fill you up and assist preserve a wholesome blood ldl cholesterol stage. Plus, simmering this stew in your range will fill your own home with heart-warming smells on a chilly winter’s evening.
2 tsp canola oil, divided
1 cup frozen pearl onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean beef stew meat, minimize into bite-size items
1 cup pink wine (can substitute low-sodium beef broth or water)
1 15 oz can low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 giant carrots, minimize into 1-inch items
3 celery stalks, minimize into 1-inch items
2 cups low-sodium, low-fat beef broth
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp pink pepper flakes
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Warmth 1 tsp oil over medium-high warmth in a heavy-bottom Dutch oven coated with cooking spray.
3. Sauté onions and garlic for five to 7 minutes or till browned. Take away from pan.
4. Add 1 tsp oil to pan; prepare dinner stew meat in pan with out crowding for six to eight minutes till browned; put aside meat.
5. Add wine to pan and produce to a boil, scraping any browned bits on backside of pan.
6. Stir in remaining components, together with meat, and produce to a low boil. Cowl and bake stew within the preheated oven for 1.5 hours or till beef is fork tender. Take away bay leaf earlier than serving.
Makes: 8 servings
Vitamin Info: Per serving: Energy: 255, 55 energy from fats; 6 g fats; 2 g saturated fats; 23 mg ldl cholesterol; 346 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 20 g protein. Energy from fats: 21%.
Mediterranean Hen With Artichokes, Solar-Dried Tomatoes, and Portabella
Mediterranean delicacies is among the heart-healthiest on this planet. That is as a result of it is excessive in fruits, greens, entire grains, and monounsaturated fat (suppose olive oil), all of which assist scale back LDL (or “unhealthy”) ldl cholesterol — and low in saturated fat, which assist increase HDL (or “good”) levels of cholesterol. It is also a food regimen that celebrates love and connection: the Mediterranean custom is to eat with family and friends, and social assist might assist defend towards coronary heart illness.
4 boneless, skinless hen breasts
½ tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 10 oz bundle child portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 10 oz bundle frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
juice from ½ recent lemon
1 tsp dried or 2 tbsp chopped recent thyme
Warmth a big nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium warmth.
Season hen breasts with salt and pepper and place in skillet.
Sauté hen breasts on either side till cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Take away hen and canopy to maintain heat.
Add oil to the skillet over medium warmth and sauté garlic, 3 to 4 minutes or till sun-dried tomatoes are tender.
Add mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes, and sauté for 3 minutes.
Add lemon juice and thyme; proceed cooking for 3 minutes.
Serve hen breasts topped with mushroom-artichoke combination.
Makes: 4 servings
Vitamin Info: Per serving: Energy: 194, 28 energy from fats; 3 g fats; 1 g saturated fats; 68 mg ldl cholesterol; 386 mg sodium; 11 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber; 31 g protein. Energy from fats: 14%.
Zucchini Spinach Vegetarian Lasagna
Can you might have a tacky, saucy lasagna and a heart-healthy meal, too? This low-fat vegetarian lasagna delivers on each. Enhance its heart-health quotient by utilizing whole-grain pasta; research present that entire grains have vitamins which will scale back blood strain and decrease danger of stroke and coronary heart illness.
2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese (can substitute low-fat creamed cottage cheese)
¼ cup chopped recent parsley
1 tsp dried or 1 tbsp recent basil
1 tsp dried or 1 tbsp recent oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups recent (chopped) or 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
4 cups marinara sauce, low-sodium
1 lb field lasagna noodles, (entire wheat or entire grain), cooked and drained
2 giant zucchini, thinly sliced
1½ cups low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with egg, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic, and spinach.
- Spray backside of 13 x 9-inch rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; unfold backside of dish with marinara sauce.
- High with a single layer of noodles (about 3 strips per layer).
- Unfold half of ricotta cheese combine and prepare half of zucchini on prime.
- Add one other layer of sauce.
- High with noodles, second layer of ricotta cheese combine, then remaining zucchini.
- Add one other layer of noodles, unfold with marinara sauce, and prime with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cowl with nonstick foil and bake half-hour; uncover and bake a further 20 minutes or till browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes earlier than chopping.
Makes: 10 servings
Vitamin Info: Per serving: Energy: 322, 118 energy from fats; 13 g fats; 7 g saturated fats; 61 mg ldl cholesterol; 343 mg sodium; 31 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 20 g protein. Energy from fats: 36%.
Pecan-Crusted Roasted Salmon
Salmon is among the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids and that is excellent news in your coronary heart. Research present they lower the chance of coronary heart arrhythmias, decrease triglycerides (a type of fats linked to coronary heart illness), and gradual the event of plaque in blood vessels. Attempt to get two servings of fatty fish — suppose salmon, tuna, and lake trout — per week.
4 salmon filets (4–6 oz every)
salt and pepper to style
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp chopped pecans
1 tsp parsley
recent lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Calmly sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon pores and skin facet down on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Mix mustard and honey, and brush on prime of salmon.
- Combine topping of bread crumbs, nuts, and parsley and sprinkle over salmon, urgent into honey mustard combination.
- Bake 10 to fifteen minutes or till flaky.
- Serve with recent lemon wedges.
Makes: 4 servings
Vitamin Info: Per serving: Energy: 265, 108 energy from fats; 12 g fats; 1.6 g saturated fats; 78 mg ldl cholesterol; 282 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 0.4 g fiber; 29 g protein. Energy from fats: 42%.