What You Ought to Know:
- Interoperability is a continued space of important focus for the healthcare trade, based on a brand new report by KLAS.
- For its newest report, KLAS talked to vendor-identified deep adopters to take a holistic have a look at the present state of interoperability in ambulatory and enterprise EMRs and measure how shut we’re to an excellent state. The outcomes reveal every vendor’s strengths and weaknesses inside varied areas of interoperability.
Exploring Ambulatory and Enterprise EMR Interoperability in 2023
KLAS carried out deep interviews with leaders from organizations who have been recognized by the distributors as deep adopters (the exception being eClinicalWorks, who didn’t present an inventory). The findings showcase what is feasible right now in actual care settings however could not replicate buyer bases as a complete. Key insights from these findings are as follows:
- Connectivity: Epic and Oracle Well being (Cerner) Prospects Lead in FHIR API Adoption to Help Third-Get together Connectivity: Amongst respondents, the superior Epic customers report probably the most connections. Epic additionally outpaces different EMR distributors with connections to in-home affected person monitoring know-how, partly attributable to their work with APIs. Oracle Well being (Cerner) prospects report they’re leveraging FHIR APIs and likewise focus on the progress they’ve made in connecting to nationwide affected person file exchanges. athenahealth and MEDITECH prospects are additionally beginning to point out leveraging FHIR APIs extra usually. Altera Digital Well being (Allscripts), eClinicalWorks, and Greenway Well being prospects report much less proactivity from their distributors in getting prospects linked to nationwide affected person file exchanges.
- Utility: Duplicate Knowledge a Main Subject; NextGen Healthcare Has Made Notable Progress: NextGen Healthcare and athenahealth are main out amongst ambulatory EMR distributors at enabling knowledge to be accessed on the level of care. NextGen Healthcare prospects constantly report performance that removes duplicate data from incoming knowledge earlier than it’s built-in into the clinician workflow. Some athenahealth prospects word performance that simply brings key exterior knowledge (i.e., PAMI and lab knowledge) into their workflow.
- NextGen Healthcare Main in Making Exterior Knowledge Actionable; Altera Digital Well being (Allscripts), eClinicalWorks, and Greenway Well being Falling Behind: NextGen Healthcare and athenahealth have made extra progress with CCDs and Direct messaging and offered their prospects with higher entry to the particular sorts of knowledge wanted on the level of care. For a number of NextGen Healthcare prospects, higher entry has led to extra usable knowledge throughout transitions of care and to high quality enchancment instruments. NextGen Healthcare and athenahealth respondents constantly have clinicians leveraging exterior knowledge due to the instruments physicians can entry and the referral instruments for care coordinators. Epic and Oracle Well being (Cerner) prospects have famous some enhancements.
- Outcomes: Organizations Beginning to See Actual Outcomes as Interoperability Advances: Fewer than 25% of Greenway Well being prospects point out gaining access to exterior knowledge that would impression their care selections. Then again, no less than 40% of NextGen Healthcare, athenahealth, Epic, and Oracle Well being (Cerner) prospects are in a position to scale back duplicate testing due to higher integration of discrete exterior knowledge on the level of care. A concentrate on standardization has allowed the shoppers of NextGen Healthcare, athenahealth, Epic, and MEDITECH to enhance their transitions of care.