There’s one thing particular and nostalgic about meals that’s handed down by generations. This explicit recipe is from my Puerto Rican mama and is a enjoyable twist on her conventional rice and beans, a recipe I grew up on.
Once I was visiting her years in the past, she talked about this new recipe for me to strive: chickpeas in sofrito! She stated it was completely scrumptious and that the feel of the chickpeas added a novel creamy taste profile. I instructed her I might make it as quickly as I obtained house and after I did, I simply couldn’t get sufficient! So after all, I needed to share the recipe with all of you.
5 years later my household comes again to this recipe time and time once more after we’re craving a nourishing, hearty weeknight dinner.
All the pieces you’ll have to make chickpeas in sofrito
- Chickpeas: the chickpeas add the right increase of protein and get tremendous flavorful within the seasonings.
- Sofrito: in Spanish, sofrito means sauce, and it’s very conventional in the case of Puerto Rican meals. My model is a combination of garlic, onion, inexperienced bell pepper, cilantro and tomato sauce. Some do it with recent tomatoes and culantro, however that is how I usually make it.
- Sazon: sazon is a extremely popular Puerto Rican spice. Be at liberty to make use of store-bought sazon packets or strive my selfmade sazon seasoning!
- Inexperienced pigeon peas: inexperienced pigeon peas are INCREDIBLE and really, excellent for you. See under (and within the notes part) for a swap if you happen to can’t discover them on the retailer!
- Rice: I like to make use of white basmati rice as a result of it will get tremendous fluffy. Please observe that if you happen to use a special sort of rice (like brown rice) the cooking time will doubtless change.
Swap the pigeon peas
For those who do not need pigeon peas, that are conventional, you should use inexperienced peas as a substitute. Merely enhance the water within the recipe by ½ cup (so that you’d have 3 ½ cups complete). After you deliver water to a boil you’ll be able to add 1 cup of frozen peas and the rice.
The best way to make chickpeas in sofrito
- Make the sofrito. Begin by making your sofrito by cooking down the onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic. As soon as they soften decrease the warmth and simmer with tomato sauce.
- Add the chickpeas. In the identical pot add within the chickpeas and broth and simmer on low so the chickpeas infuse with the sauce.
- Make the arroz con gandules. Whereas the chickpeas are cooking, make one other batch of sofrito in a brand new pot and add in your can of pigeon peas (liquid included!) Add water, deliver it to a boil, after which stir in your rice. Let the rice simmer on low till tender.
- Season & serve. Style each the chickpeas and the rice and regulate the seasonings as wanted. Then serve with additional sauce from the beans, cilantro, and avocado slices!
Serving & storing suggestions
- To serve: be at liberty to double the recipe to feed a bigger household or associates! It’s a assured crowd-pleaser. I like to serve this recipe with avocado slices and tostones.
- To retailer: merely retailer any leftover rice and beans in airtight containers within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days. This recipe is ideal for meal prep!
Extra of my household recipes you’ll love
Get much more nourishing dinner recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this chickpeas in sofrito recipe! For those who make it you should definitely go away a remark and a score so I understand how you favored it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Mama’s Chickpea in Sofrito with Arroz con Gandules
My mama’s scrumptious vegetarian Puerto Rican-inspired chickpeas in sofrito served with arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas). This comforting, scrumptious chickpeas in sofrito recipe is simple to make and filled with over 13g of plant-based protein! The right vegan dinner that is nice for meal prep.
- For the sofrito (for the chickpeas):
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup very finely diced yellow onion
- ½ cup very finely diced inexperienced bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely diced cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce (from one 15 oz can — reserve additional sauce for rice)
- 3 teaspoons (2 packets) Sazon (see observe in recipe for tips on how to make your personal)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ cups low sodium vegetarian broth (or water)
- For the rice:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup very finely diced yellow onion
- ⅓ cup very finely diced inexperienced bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons (2 packets) sazon seasoning (see observe in recipe for tips on how to make your personal)
- 1 (15 oz) can inexperienced pigeon peas*
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups basmati white rice
- To garnish:
- Further recent chopped cilantro
- Avocado slices
First make your Sofrito: Sofrito in Spanish means sauce — very conventional in most of the primary staple meals in Puerto Rico: Add olive oil to a medium pot and place over medium warmth. As soon as oil is sizzling, add in onion, inexperienced bell pepper, cilantro and garlic. Saute till onions are translucent and inexperienced peppers soften, about 2-4 minutes. Deliver warmth to low and add tomato sauce, sazon and simmer for 2-3 minutes till sauce comes collectively.
Add within the chickpeas and broth and simmer uncovered over low warmth whilst you prepare dinner the rice, stirring sometimes, in order that the spices infuse with the beans. For those who discover the liquid getting too low, it in all probability means you had been simmering at too excessive of a warmth, however no worries you’ll be able to merely add one other ½ cup water or broth.
Whereas the chickpeas are simmering with sofrito, begin making the rice: Add oil to a medium pot and place over medium warmth. As soon as oil is sizzling, add in onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic. Saute till onions are translucent and inexperienced peppers soften, about 2-4 minutes. Deliver warmth to medium-low and add tomato sauce, sazon and simmer for two minutes till sauce comes collectively.
Subsequent add in whole can of pigeon peas (with the liquid — DO NOT DRAIN) add 3 cups water, and convey to a boil. As soon as it boils, stir in 2 cups of rice, cowl, scale back warmth to low and simmer 20 minutes or till rice is tender.
Style each the rice and the chickpeas and regulate seasonings as needed, together with including extra salt.
The best way to serve: add rice and beans to a bowl with additional sauce from the beans, garnish with cilantro and some avocado slices — serve with tostones if you happen to’re feeling like a real Puerto Rican! Serves 4-6.
*For the pigeon peas: if you happen to do not need pigeon peas, that are conventional, you should use inexperienced peas as a substitute. Merely enhance the water within the recipe by ½ cup (so that you’d have 3 ½ cups complete). After you deliver the water to a boil you’ll be able to add 1 cup of frozen peas and the rice.
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 459calCarbohydrates: 87.8gProtein: 13.9gFats: 6.1gSaturated Fats: 0.4gFiber: 10.3gSugar: 4.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen Images by: Yoga of Cooking
This put up was initially revealed on November twenty ninth, 2018, and republished on September twenty fourth, 2023.