This savory oatmeal recipe is simply nearly as good for breakfast as it’s for dinner or lunch. Eggs, avocado, and garlicky greens high creamy steel-cut oats.
In the event you’re used to topping your morning oats with nut butter and recent fruit, the idea of savory oatmeal may sound unusual. However give it an opportunity, and I feel you’ll be stunned. Oats (which, in spite of everything, are an entire grain like farro, brown rice, wheat berries, or some other) pair completely with savory fixings like avocado, sautéed greens, and gentle boiled eggs. These hearty toppings make this savory oatmeal recipe a satisfying and nutritious breakfast, they usually additionally carry oats past the breakfast zone, reworking them right into a scrumptious choice for a fast dinner or lunch.
So even in the event you’re skeptical, I hope you’ll do this savory oatmeal recipe. It’s simple, wholesome, and endlessly customizable (share your favourite toppings within the feedback!). I feel you’re going to adore it!
The best way to Make Savory Oatmeal
My #1 tip for this savory oatmeal recipe? Use steel-cut oats! Their creamy, chewy texture is nearly like that of a risotto, which makes them a pure companion for toppings like veggies and eggs. Fast-cooking oats and even entire rolled oats are too gentle and mushy to make use of on this recipe.
To infuse the oats with savory, umami depth of taste, I prepare dinner them with shallots and garlic. I begin by sautéing some finely chopped shallot in olive oil in medium saucepan.
Then, I stir within the oats and garlic and add water and salt. I convey the water to a boil, cut back the warmth, and simmer, stirring sometimes, till the oats are thick and creamy however nonetheless have a slight chunk, 15 to twenty minutes.
Whereas the oats prepare dinner, I prep the toppings. Discover my favorites beneath!
Savory Oatmeal Recipe Serving Strategies
I like to high my savory oatmeal with gentle boiled eggs, sautéed spinach, and avocado, with a sprinkle of scallions for oniony chunk and microgreens for a recent final touch. However the topping choices don’t finish there! Be at liberty to customise your savory oatmeal to your liking. Listed below are a couple of topping concepts to get you began:
- Every kind of eggs. As an alternative of utilizing a gentle boiled egg, high your oats with a poached egg or fried egg.
- Plant-based proteins. Skip the eggs, and gown up your bowl with baked tofu or roasted chickpeas.
- Sautéed veggies. Use sautéed mushrooms, broccoli, or kale as an alternative of or along with the spinach.
- Roasted veggies. Add roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash within the fall and winter and roasted cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers in the summertime.
- Cheese or “cheese.” Sprinkle on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta, or, for a dairy-free choice, use this vegan Parmesan cheese, made with cashews and dietary yeast. Or, for the same hit of umami, you possibly can high your savory oatmeal bowl with caramelized onions.
- Toasted nuts or seeds. Toasted sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, and/or pepitas add scrumptious crunch.
- Recent herbs. Sprinkle on recent cilantro or thyme leaves.
Serve with scorching sauce or pesto!
Savory oatmeal generally is a bit time-consuming to make on busy mornings, however in the event you like, you possibly can prep it forward. Prepare dinner the oats upfront, portion them into meal prep containers, and retailer them within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat on the range or within the microwave, and high together with your desired toppings simply earlier than you eat.
Extra Favourite Oats Recipes
In the event you love these savory oats, attempt one in every of these scrumptious oats recipes subsequent:
Or, for extra wholesome breakfast concepts, take a look at this submit!
Serves 2 to three
This simple savory oatmeal recipe is a wholesome, scrumptious choice for any meal of the day–breakfast, lunch, or dinner! We love the toppings listed right here, however be at liberty to experiment with them. Discover extra solutions within the submit above!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot, about 1 small
- ¾ cup steel-cut oats
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2¼ cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
Warmth the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium warmth. Add the shallot and prepare dinner till softened, about 2 minutes. Add the oats and garlic and stir to coat within the oil, then add the water and salt and convey to a boil. Scale back the warmth and simmer, stirring sometimes, for 15 to twenty minutes, or till the oats are thick and creamy however nonetheless have a slight chunk. Season to style with salt and pepper.
Take away from the warmth and portion into bowls. High with the sautéed greens, eggs, scallions, avocado, and microgreens. Serve with drizzles of scorching sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.