Throwing it again to #AKZucchiniWeek 2018 the place we had a scrumptious mixture of candy and savory recipes to make use of up your whole contemporary summer time zucchini. With Memorial Day behind us, it’s the right time to start out stocking up on everybody’s favourite veggie.
My mother used to make these zucchini boats on a regular basis with enchilada sauce, however since I’m a straight-up BBQ
drinker lover, I made a decision to modify it up. These tacky BBQ rooster stuffed zucchini boats are simple to make, deliciously savory, and full of protein for the right weeknight meal to fulfill each craving.
Make them for dinner this week, then try all of my zucchini recipes for extra enjoyable methods to make use of them up!
FREE Zucchini Recipe E-Guide
Join beneath and get a FREE downloadable, printable e-book with my greatest zucchini recipes (candy and savory!)
Components in BBQ rooster zucchini boats
These simple, tacky BBQ rooster stuffed zucchini boats really require tremendous minimal elements however are full of scrumptious taste and tons of protein. Right here’s every part you’ll want:
- Zucchini: to make these cute little boats in fact!
- Olive oil: for cooking down the veggies, brushing on the zucchini and greasing your pan.
- Garlic: a vital taste for the filling.
- Crimson onion: slightly chew so as to add to the rooster filling.
- Hen: I like to make use of plain cooked & shredded rooster breast for ease, however you’ll be able to even use leftovers from a rotisserie rooster to essentially save time! You possibly can additionally prepare dinner some floor rooster along with your crimson onion and garlic if you would like.
- BBQ sauce: be happy to make use of your favourite BBQ sauce. I like this kind as a result of it’s decrease in sugar and slightly spicy (yum).
- Cheddar cheese: add loads of shredded cheddar cheese (or a vegan cheese!) for that melty, tacky perfection.
- Toppings: I prefer to high these with a inexperienced onion and cilantro for slightly freshness.
Our fav methods to prepare dinner & shred rooster
These zucchini boats are the right approach to make use of up cooked, shredded rooster — even rotisserie rooster! Study all of our greatest methods to prepare dinner rooster right here, and other ways to shred it right here.
Customise your zucchini boats
This recipe is tremendous versatile! Be at liberty to make use of what you’ve available to really make it your personal. Right here’s what I can counsel:
- Swap the sauce: for those who’d like you should use canned or home made enchilada sauce as a substitute of BBQ sauce.
- Go vegetarian: hold these stuffed zucchini boats vegetarian through the use of cooked lentils, tofu or black beans as a substitute of rooster.
- Select a brand new meat: be happy to make use of cooked floor rooster or turkey as a substitute of shredded rooster breast.
- Make them dairy free: use your favourite dairy free cheese shreds.
Methods to make BBQ rooster stuffed zucchini boats
- Make your boats. Scoop the facilities from the zucchini out whereas leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats. And sure, you’ll be able to eat the pores and skin on zucchini boats, so no must peel them first!
- Prep your pan. Place your zucchini boats right into a 9×13-inch greased baking pan. They need to snuggle fairly tightly in there, however for those who can’t match all of them in, you should use two pans. Brush zucchini with slightly olive oil or spray them with cooking spray.
- Make the filling. Cook dinner down the onions and garlic, then switch the combination to a big bowl. Stir in shredded rooster, bbq sauce, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Assemble the zucchini boats. Spoon the bbq rooster combination evenly into the zucchini boats and high every with extra bbq sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake, garnish & serve. Cowl the pan with foil and bake them up till the cheese has melted and the zucchini is tender. Sprinkle the tops with cilantro and inexperienced onion and serve!
Trying to grill them as a substitute?
It’s simple! Right here’s how you can do it:
- Pre-grill your zucchini. Preheat your grill to medium-high warmth or 400 levels F. After brushing your zucchini with olive oil, place the zucchini flesh-side down on the grill and prepare dinner for about 5 minutes till good grill marks seem.
- Stuff every zucchini boat. Take away zucchini from the grill and switch to a baking sheet, flesh aspect up. Evenly divide the bbq rooster combination between the zucchini and high with the additional bbq sauce and cheese.
- Grill them up. Add the baking sheet to the grill, shut the lid, and prepare dinner for about 5-10 minutes extra till the cheese is melty and effervescent.
- Garnish & serve. As soon as achieved, sprinkle tops with cilantro and inexperienced onion and serve!
Ideas for making zucchini boats
- Ensure that to decide on zucchini which can be all smaller and related in measurement in order that they slot in your pan and prepare dinner in the identical period of time.
- Scoop out the insides of your zucchini with a spoon (as proven within the video beneath) and ensure to depart a 1/4 inch rim in order that the filling stays contained in the zucchini.
- Be certain to not scoop your zucchini halves too deep — in any other case the filling might fall out of the underside as soon as the zucchini boats have cooked.
Meal prep these rooster stuffed zucchini boats:
This zucchini boat recipe makes AMAZING leftovers, packs in 36g of protein per serving and is great for meal prep.
- First, make and bake your BBQ rooster stuffed zucchini boats.
- Enable the zucchini boats to chill, then place two of them in a meal prep container.
- As soon as able to eat, microwave your boats on excessive for 1-2 minutes till heat and cheese is melted.
Reuse the zucchini pulp
After scooping out your zucchini boats, it can save you the zucchini pulp for smoothies! It’s nutritious and extremely scrumptious. Right here’s what I counsel: Add zucchini pulp to a freezer secure container. Add to smoothies while you need slightly dietary or fiber increase. No must thaw!
Retailer these simple BBQ rooster stuffed zucchini boats in meal prep containers within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days. To reheat, merely place two zucchini boats on a plate and microwave them till they’re heated by.
Extra zucchini recipes you’ll love
Get all of my zucchini recipes right here!
In the event you make this stuffed zucchini recipe, don’t neglect to depart a remark and charge the recipe beneath. And naturally, if in case you have Instagram, we’d like to see your creations — don’t neglect to tag #ambitiouskitchen!
Tacky BBQ Hen Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Scrumptious, low carb BBQ rooster stuffed zucchini boats topped with melted cheddar cheese. These flavorful, simple BBQ rooster zucchini boats are an effective way to make use of leftover rooster and make the right weeknight dinner. Choices so as to add your favourite flavors and even make them vegetarian!
- Olive oil, for greasing pan
medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise (search for zucchini that’s related in measurement)
olive oil, divided
garlic cloves, minced
crimson onion, finely diced
(about 2 1/2 cups) cooked shredded rooster breast (will also be from a rotisserie rooster)
low sugar bbq sauce, divided (I like Stubb’s Spicy BBQ Sauce), plus extra for those who prefer it additional saucy
shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- To garnish:
- Inexperienced onions
Preheat oven to 400 levels. Grease a 9×13 inch pan with olive oil.
Utilizing a spoon, scoop facilities from zucchini whereas leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats. (See observe part for what to do with leftover zucchini pulp.) Place zucchini within the greased pan; they need to snuggle fairly tightly in there, however for those who can’t match all of them in, you should use two pans.
Brush zucchini with slightly olive oil (about 1 tablespoon or so). It’s also possible to merely spray them with an all pure oil-only cooking spray.
Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to a medium skillet and place over medium warmth. Add in onions and garlic, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
Switch to a big bowl then stir in shredded rooster, 1/2 cup bbq sauce and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Spoon bbq rooster combination evenly into zucchini boats. Prime every with 1 tablespoon bbq sauce (or slightly additional for those who’d prefer it extra saucy) and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese.
Cowl with foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes or till cheese has melted and zucchini is tender.
As soon as achieved, sprinkle the tops with cilantro and inexperienced onion earlier than serving. Serves 4; 2 boats per particular person.
It can save you the zucchini pulp for smoothies! It is nutritious and extremely scrumptious. This is what I counsel: Add zucchini pulp to a freezer secure container. Add to smoothies while you need slightly dietary or fiber increase. No must thaw!
See the total publish for ideas, tips, and straightforward methods to customise these zucchini boats.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving measurement: 2 zucchini boats
Saturated fats: 8g